- About Us
- Get Involved
- COVID-19 Protocols
Peer Leader Program
Come challenge yourself this summer!
Learn about different leadership styles while connecting with nature in Metro Vancouver Regional Parks this summer. CTS Youth Society is dedicated to leadership, environmental awareness and stewardship, outdoor recreation, youth ownership, creativity, connections and fun. But mostly it’s all about you! That’s right, we are run ‘By Youth, For Youth’.
Calling all Peer Leaders. You in?
Ready for a challenge? Ready to lead your peers in a rewarding summer experience? This program is available for any youth ages 15-18. We especially encourage those who have been part of our summer programs before or have other leadership experience. Don’t have either? Apply anyways and tell us why you think you would be a great fit to our program!
All of our Peer Leaders are responsible for participating in at least five weekend sessions before the summer (workshops and training) and for leading at least two weekend camps. The Peer Leaders program is free.
Apply here or by filling out the form at the bottom. The application deadline is March 12 or until positions are filled.
What will I do?
Our Programs rely on our Peer Leaders to function. Some of your regular responsibilities will be:
- Inspire and deliver CTS programs to your peers, rain or shine; your ideas and energy are what fuels the program. Take ownership, be responsible, and have fun!
- Plan our program activities, make menu plans and keep us on track; you are the leaders.
- Help shape and deliver the CTS summer program under the mentorship of great Program Supervisors (we call them Mentorvisors)
- Participate in a minimum of 2 pre-season training sessions, 2 mandatory training weekends (Peer Leader Bootcamp, and In-Park Training), and lead a minimum of 2 weekends this summer
- Support the CTS Youth Council and help them with events and activities.
- Help get the word out about CTS! Tell your friends and your acquaintances and help to make CTS a bigger part of your community.
What’s in it for me?
Aside from an incredible resume booster and close mentoring from our highly qualified Mentorvisors, you will also receive the following:
- 100 volunteer service hours and exposure to career and community opportunities. This can be used towards the Duke of Edinburgh Volunteer Service requirements, your school’s volunteer hours, and any other volunteer service program.
- Learn lifelong skills that will help you in the future such as cooking and meal prepping, scheduling and time management, and outdoor recreation and survival skills.
- Outstanding Peer Leaders for each camp may receive their camp’s Stellar’s Jay PL Award, an annual excellence award that commemorates those leaders that go above and beyond what is required of them.
- Personal mentorship from knowledgeable Mentors to build professional and interpersonal skills.
- Best part? You get to hang out with your friends, make some new ones and have loads of fun!
Pre-season workshops are all held at CTS HQ – Aintree House at Burnaby Lake Regional Park.
Each Peer Leader will then be assigned their home camp for the season. Our four locations are:
- Aintree House – Burnaby Lake Regional Park (Burnaby)
- Camp Capilano – Capilano River Regional Park (North Vancouver)
- CTS Campsite/Camosun Bog – Pacific Spirit Regional Park (Vancouver)
- Raven’s Nest Campground – Tynehead Regional Park (Surrey)
More info on each site can be found here.
Program Dates for 2021 Season
You will be required to join us for at least 2 of these sessions. They will all be held at CTS HQ in Burnaby Lake Regional Park. All of these dates are on Saturdays.
- April 10: Peer Leader Meet & Greet
- April 17: Workshop 1 – Team Building
- April 24: Workshop 2 – Leadership
- May 1: Workshop 3 – Jumping Into Nature
- May 8: Workshop 4 – Environmental Stewardship
Mandatory Training Weekends
If you can’t attend these you need to let us know in advance and why. All these days are weekends.
- May 22nd OR May 23rd – Meet Your Mentors Out-trip (Depending on location assignment and availability)
- June 4th-6th OR June 11th – 13th: CTS Peer Leader Bootcamp @ CTS HQ (Depending on location assignment and availability)
- June 25th-27th: In-Park Training @ your assigned location
Summer Season Dates
July 2 – August 22: Each camp runs from Friday to Sunday during season. You will be schedule to lead 2 of these in your assigned camp location!
I’m in! How do I apply?
Simply fill out the google form below or follow this link! We cannot wait to hear back from you.
When you apply, you will be asked to fill out the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- How you have been involved with CTS in the past
- What location you would like to volunteer at (Burnaby, North Vancouver, Vancouver, Surrey)
- Short answer questions on why you would like to be a Peer Leader
- A reference letter
- This can be from a teacher, volunteer supervisor, boss, coach, or any non-family member who can give us a better sense of who you are
- Please be ready to submit this reference letter as a PDF or word document
The deadline for applications is March 12 or until spots fill. We will be accepting rolling applications up to that date and scheduling a quick phone interview to get to know you better. We encourage all interested applications to apply early to increase your chances of acceptance!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Please reach out to Rafa Narciso, our Program Coordinator, and he will be more than happy to hear from you. Feel free to contact by calling 604-562-0583 or email at email@example.com.