Our Peer Leader Program equips CTS youth members (age 15-18) with training to become volunteer Peer Leaders. Peer Leaders are trained in leadership, program development, outdoor recreation and outdoor safety to plan and lead camp excursions in Metro Vancouver’s Regional Parks (with support from experienced Camp Supervisors). A great way to have fun while boosting your career and academic resume, volunteer Peer Leaders make our “for youth, by youth” programs the best they can be! Applications open Monday, April 3rd 2023.
What will Peer Leader participants do?
- Participate in Peer Leader Training, CTS Bootcamp, and In-Park training to learn about outdoor education, outdoor safety and hone your camping skills
- Inspire, plan, and deliver camp program activities (with support from trained Camp Counsellors)
- Organize and execute menu plans for overnight camps
- Collaborate with other Peer Leaders in a team environment
- Practice mentorship to CTS Youth participants
- Lead in one or more camp locations throughout the summer
What’s in it for me?
- Volunteer service hours (for school or other service programs)
- Exposure to career and community opportunities
- Lifelong skills such as meal prep, cooking, scheduling, time management, program development and facilitation, outdoor recreation, leadership, and camping skills
- Gain confidence and progress in your personal development
- A reference letter and certificate of completion at the end of the summer, should you meet the requirements
- An invite to the Peer Leader Jamboree in August
- A head start to becoming a paid CTS Camp Supervisor in the future
- A shot at the “Stellar’s Jay Award,” an annual excellence award that commemorates those leaders that go above and beyond what is required of them
The best part?
You can hang out with friends, make some new ones, and have loads of fun outdoors. This is your chance to learn new skills and learn even more about yourself!
Pre-season workshops are held at Picken House at Burnaby Lake Regional Park.
Each Peer Leader will then be assigned their home camp for the season. Our four locations are:
- Tynehead Regional Park (Surrey)
- Burnaby Lake Regional Park (Burnaby)
- Capilano River Regional Park (North Vancouver)
- Pacific Spirit Regional Park (Vancouver)
2023 Workshop/Training Dates
- May 13: Meet & Greet | 3 hours
- May 20: CTS in 5 and Group Building | 6 hours
- May 27: Program Planning and Delivery | 6 hours
- June 3: Practice Session | 3 hours
- June 9-10: Bootcamp | Overnight
- June 17: In-park Training | 4 hours
I’m in! How do I apply?
Applications open: Monday, April 3rd 2023
Application deadline: Friday, April 14th 2023
Questions? E-mail our Program Manager or call 604-562-0583